NEWS OF THE December 19 07


Jean Baptiste Dejeanty home, Dee Caffari (Aviva) under tow, Rich Wilson and Derek Hatfield due in later this Friday...


Jean Baptiste Dejeanty timed his finish to perfection tonight off Port la Forêt, arriving midway through the prize-giving ceremony for this Transat Ecover BtoB at 20h 21' 45'' UTC, after 20 days 06 hours, 21 minutes and 45 seconds of racing at an average speed of 8.47 knots.




Jean-Baptiste Dejeanty arrived in tenth place at the point where Gaëtan Gouerou, organiser of the Transat Ecover-BtoB at the heart of the company Mer & Projets, was dishing out the prizes to the solo sailors in the presence of the representatives of the Town Hall of La Forêt-Fouesnant, the County Council of Finisterre, the Region of Brittany and the Ecover company. Amidst a convivial atmosphere, the eight solo sailors expressed their pleasure in having participated in this event which, outside its context of qualification for the Vendée Globe, has proven to be a great race and above all else a great lesson in the manner in which to sail a race and the technical limits that need to be respected. Absent due to a meeting in Switzerland, the winner, Loïck Peyron was present on the telephone to thank all the organisation and the racers, who participated in this transatlantic race with such enthusiasm and concentration.

Mike Golding (Ecover III) was another very welcome addition to the proceedings last night. "Thank you to everyone for organising this race. I'm delighted to be here tonight. Clearly I'm disappointed not to have been able to complete this race and arrive here safely by boat but it has been an excellent sporting event. Ecover is equally as delighted with how it's gone - it's been a fantastic event for everyone.  I spoke to Dee (Caffari) an hour ago and she is fine. She too is disappointed not to have made it into port here but she is very happy to have participated.” Third placed Michel Desjoyeaux had this to add: "This has been an important race for all of us. Bravo Mike for lending us all a piece of your sponsor (Ecover) and enabling us all to compete in this race. This is a rare gesture in this domain, too rare in fact, and we thank you and Ecover for it."

The three competitors still at sea weren't able to be contacted despite a really concerted effort by the organisers, which is likely down to the fact that they were dealing with a nasty gale serving up forty knots of E'ly wind.... This Thursday morning, Derek Hatfield (Spirit of Canada) was just 150 miles from Port la Forêt and with a bit of luck, the thirty knot E'ly he was tackling last night, should give way to a twenty-five knot SE’ly at lunchtime today, enabling him to head for the finish line on a single tack. Unfortunately the Canadian is handicapped by some serious headsail issues, which means he can’t make any more than five knots… As for the American Rich Wilson (Great American III), he is only 80 miles behind him now and making nine knots straight towards the goal!

Jean-Baptiste Dejeanty (Maisonneuve)

It's a real liberation to finally arrive in Port la Forêt! The accumulation of technical problems had a negative effect on my morale and I’m really happy to bring all that to an end... It's a great victory over myself and over the boat as a lot of things went wrong. I thought about throwing in the towel on a number of occasions, but I ended up going all the way and that's a good thing! There are a number of problems to be resolved prior to being able to sail again as I have to start by untangling the jib solent which has wrapped itself around the rig: it has been impossible to undo all the knots for days now… There’s a lot of work ahead this winter!”

Dee Caffari: "It has been 30 hours since Aviva was dismasted and I am still bobbing around in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The good news is that the weather has improved. The sky has cleared the rain has stopped and the wind has abated. The swell is still at large and the relentless rolling onboard Aviva is uncomfortable to say the least. As the daylight was being lost yesterday afternoon, panic set in. I couldn’t stay out here alone at night. I hadn’t slept for two days. I was scared and felt vulnerable and was worried of being mowed down by a ship as I did not show up too well without a mast and sails. The shore team had been doing a sterling job arranging a rescue and keeping options open and checking I was still okay. Then just as I was about to crack I heard the news that a guardian angel was coming to keep watch over me. My angel was in the form of the British Warship Northumberland and the crew with the Commanding Officer Martin Simpson. They arrived at midnight and spent all night keeping watch on Aviva and me so I could sleep. It was heavenly. This morning with breakfast delivered they agreed to stay on station until the Spanish Tow arrived from La Coruna. All being well I should be under tow this afternoon and making way to Spain with hopes of stepping onto dry land tomorrow. Keep going to Rich Wilson onboard Great America III and Derek Hatfield onboard Sprit of Canada. We had been having a great race and you guys should be close to your final tacks to the finish line, so well done." 

Arrivals in Port la Forêt:

1-Loïck Peyron (Gitana Eighty) in 14d 09h 13' 25''

2-Kito de Pavant (Groupe Bel) in 14d 12h 22' 49'', 3 hours 09 minutes 24 seconds behind the winner

3-Michel Desjoyeaux (Foncia) in 14d 13h 43' 24", 4 hours 29 minutes 59 seconds behind the winner

4-Yann Eliès (Generali) in 14d 19h 22' 02'', 10 hours 07 minutes 37 seconds behind the winner

5-Marc Guillemot (Safran) in 15d 08h 25' 44'', 23 hours 12 minutes 19 seconds behind the winner

6-Bernard Stamm (Cheminées Poujoulat) in 15d 16h 24'34'', 1 day 07 hours 09 minutes 09 seconds behind the winner

7-Samantha Davies (Roxy) in 17d 17h 38' 46'', 3 days 08 hours 25 minutes 21 seconds behind the winner

8-Yannick Bestaven (Cervin EnR) in 18d 00h 57' 48'', 3 days 15 hours 44 minutes 23 seconds behind the winner

9-Arnaud Boissières (Akena Vérandas) in 19d 00h 57' 26'', 4 days 15 hours 44 minutes 01 seconds behind the winner

10-Jean-Baptiste Dejeanty (Maisonneuve) in 20d 06h 21' 45'', 5 days 21 hours 08 minutes 20 seconds behind the winner.

Latest on Dee Caffari at 1800 UTC:

At 16.30 UTC today, a large tug with 4,000 horsepower, from La Coruna in Northern Spain attached a towline to the dismasted Open 60 Aviva. The crew of HMS Northumberland assisted the Spanish boat in the operation and Caffari is now heading safely under-tow back to port.

The manoeuvre lasted just under an hour, after which Caffari waved goodbye to her ‘guardian angel’ HMS Northumberland. She now starts the 20-24 hour tow back to La Coruna, during which she will probably have to remain on deck at all times to ensure there are no problems with the tow. Fortunately, despite the damage to one of the rudders caused by the broken mast, Caffari has successfully engineered the autopilot to operate the functioning rudder so she will not have to hand-steer for the entire duration of the tow.






Print this page Print this page




December 21 07

Rich Wilson and Derek Hatfield round off the Transat Ec...

December 19 07

Explanation from Dee Caffari

December 19 07

Dismasting of Aviva

December 19 07

Jean Baptiste Dejeanty home, Dee Caffari (Aviva) under ...

December 18 07

Arnaud 'Cali' Boissières alongside

December 17 07

Cervin EnR at Port la Forêt

December 17 07

Sam has arrived

December 17 07

Sam's wave...

December 15 07

Long final stretch for Bernard Stamm, 6th

December 15 07

The end draws ever closer this Sunday 16th December...




2D map / Rankings,

<strong>2D map / Rankings,</strong>
brought by Netency

Link to the race's web TV

The latest video clips

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

December 14 07 - 22H05

Video footage of the finish


Online virtual game,
brought by Virtual

Newsletter: register here!


Finalmente, uma regata transatlântica que parte do Brasil…..betek Breizh !